Located amid the beautiful New Forest National Park in England, Wessex Institute of Technology (usually referred to as just Wessex Institute or WIT) is a unique organisation serving the international scientific community.
The overall aim of Wessex Institute is to develop a series of knowledge transfer mechanisms, particularly directed towards the exchange of information between academics and professional users within industry.
This is achieved through a range of activities organised by a dedicated team of staff both within the Institute and its associate companies. A large network of prestigious contacts and links have been established with many organisations throughout the world.
- Graduate Programmes at Doctoral and Master level, many in collaboration with other academic institutions throughout the world.
- Specialist Research within the areas of Damage Mechanics, Environmental Modelling and Fluid Mechanics, Industrial Research and Information Communications Technology.
- International Conference Programme which is constantly expanding in both size and scope. This has brought international renown to the Institute.
- Publishing Arm: The Institute has a publishing arm which produces numerous scientific books, monographs and edited works as well as the proceedings from the Institute’s conference programme. Activities have been expanded to include the publication of papers as well as other material in electronic format, much of which is available through the WIT eLibrary.
- Software Services: The software arm of the Institute serves as a support to industry and continues to develop and maintain the Boundary Element Analysis System, which was originated by the Director of Wessex Institute, Prof Carlos Brebbia. The company provides a valuable service to major industries such as aerospace, automotive, mechanical, offshore and naval, as well as specialized applications in fields such as biomedicine, electromagnetics and fracture mechanics.
- The American Office is based in Boston, Massachusetts, and supports and promotes the use of boundary elements in industry as well as selling the publications produced by WIT Press.
WIT Press not only provides an essential contribution to the smooth running of the Institute’s conferences by publishing the proceedings but also produces a number of specialized monographs and edited works. This output generally appeals to specialized groups of researchers and is seen as vital to the advancement of sciences. WIT Press is one of the few publishers prepared to service this important market.
WIT Press has also expanded its activities to include the publication of papers as well as other materials in electronic form. This service complements the hard cover books produced and as a result many WIT Press publications are permanently available to the international scientific community for immediate distribution through www.witpress.com.