Why degree at Charles University?
Graduates of the IES are internationally competitive given our long-term commitment to excellence:
- Quantitative skills. We build upon 4 Maths, and 3 Statistics + Econometrics courses on the Bachelor level.
- International atmosphere. 85% of Master courses are in English. 600+ international students from 28 countries have studied at the IES in the last 10 years, including Erasmus Mundus students of IMESS with University College London.
- Stay abroad. We offer 40+ Erasmus exchange agreements, plus scholarship opportunities in the US and Australia.
- Family size. 80 Bachelors, 60 Masters, and 5 PhDs graduate annually. Thesis writing is intensive and personal.
- Top lecturers. We combine academics with practitioners, such as Zdenek Tuma (ex-governor of the Czech National Bank), Pavel Mertlik (Chief Economist, Raiffeisen Bank), Vladimir Dlouhy (Goldman Sachs), and many others.
- Talents. We seek for best students to develop their potential. The best students are successful on job market and also receive numerous prizes, such as Olga Radzyner Award, Financial Stability Institute Award, Innovating Minds, Young Economist Prize, Karel Englis Prize, Bolzano Prize, Josef Hlavka Prize, and Josef Vavrousek Prize. Wage premium of our average graduate substantially exceeds the average wage premium of the local competitors.
Peer reviewed journals and working papers
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance is an impacted outlet with a long tradition and coverage in SSCI (Web of Knowledge, Business and Finance group). The journal covers primarily macroeconomics, monetary economics, public finance, labor economics, and related topics. Chief editor: Ondřej Schneider (IES). Editors: Aleš Bulíř (IMF), Roman Horváth (IES), Tomáš Tichý (Technical University Ostrava). Editorial office of CJEF is currently located in Washington, DC. Open access at: journal.fsv.cuni.cz
Czech Economic Review is a journal founded in 2007, focusing mostly but not exclusively on research with rigorous micro foundations. The journal primarily covers game theory, theory of decision, mathematical economics, public economics and political economy. The journal has predominantly international authorship and audience. In the editorial board, you find 23 members from 12 different countries. Referees come from 24 countries. The journal is indexed in Scopus, EconLit, EBSCO, DOAJ, CEEOL, RePEc and DigLib. Open access at: auco.cuni.cz
IES Working Papers series is the main channel of presenting work in progress of our faculty members. More than 200 papers have been published since 2001, covering virtually all fields of economics. All working papers are double-blind peer-reviewed, and available in RePEc. By monthly file downloads, the series ranks 224. (out of 3127) in LogEc (as of August 3, 2011). This makes it locally the most downloaded working paper series.