Our values include the following:
- we encourage participation and openness, creativity and innovation
- we support academic freedom, which includes tolerance of diverse points of view and the provision of equal opportunities
- we are co-creators and custodians of knowledge
- we aim to help all students and staff to achieve their full potential
- we apply the best ethical standards in all our activities, recognising that our role is to shape future leaders who have the potential to change society.
Our vision is to make the University of York a world leader:
- in the creation of knowledge through fundamental and applied research
- the sharing of knowledge by teaching students from varied backgrounds
- the application of knowledge for the health, prosperity and well-being of people and society.
Our Development Plan identifies the future size and shape of the University, consonant with the objectives of the University Plan.
Guide to Expertise
The University of York is one of Britain's leading research universities. It concentrates on strong viable departments, the promotion of a positive research environment, and academic excellence in all areas.
This guide is an indication of the depth and diversity of original research at the University of York.
University of York performance
The University of York performed superbly in the most recent RAE, carried out in 2008, with results placing the University among the ten leading institutions in the UK for research.
Twelve departments were ranked in the top ten in the country with almost all departments in the top 20. More than 90 per cent of the University's academic staff had their work submitted for consideration, so the results accurately reflect the scale and quality of York’s research activity.