The Department of Economics began operating in 1987. Since the University’s move to its new campus several years ago, the Department has been located at the Rethymnon campus in Gallos. There are currently over 750 undergraduate students and 40 postgraduate students enrolled in the Department, while more than 630 students have graduated from the Department since its inception.
The Department offers courses in four areas of study:
- economic theory and quantitative methods
- economics of the firm
- political economy — history — development, and
- applied economics and international economic relations
Students are also taught four compulsory courses in English for economists.
Graduates of the Department of Economics find employment opportunities in a broad spectrum of public and private agencies, including: banks, and the wider financial sector, accounting firms, local government, non-governmental agencies, research centres, tourism, public administration, business firms etc.
Activities of the Department
Like most Departments of the University of Crete, the Department of Economics participates in the SOCRATES Programme. It cooperates with respective faculties of other European Universities (British, Czech, French, Italian, Polish), especially in the student exchange facility.
The Department also participates in the JEAN MONNET programme whose objective is to develop courses in European Studies at European Universities. In the context of this programme the Department has been awarded a Jean Monnet Chair through which a series of seminars related to European integration have been conducted. In addition specific courses which analyze topics related to European integration have been developed.
The Economics Department is particularly active in the organization of international conferences which provide scientists from Greece and other countries the opportunity to present their work in economics. Among the scientific meetings which the Department organized during the period 1992 – 2002 are the following:
- International Conference on “Marx Revisited ” (October 1992)
- “Social and Economic Aspects of the Transition Economies in Eastern Europe”. The Department organized three meetings in conjunction with the Universities of Godollo and Crakow (May, September and November 1996)
- Workshop on “The Crisis in Economic Policy: Stabilization Programmes and Greek Reality” (May 1996)
- The Department organizes an annual international conference on “Macroeconomic Theory and Policy” (May 1997 to the present)
- The annual conference of the European Assosiation for Environmental and Resource Economics (EAERE) (June 2000)
- The annual conference of the Association of Southern European Economic Theorists (ASSET) (October 2001)
- The annual conference of the European Society for the History of Economic Thought (ESHET) (March 2002)
- The annual conference of the Association of Southern European Economic Theorists (ASSET) (October 2005)
- The 5th annual Conference on Research on Economic Theory and Econometrics (July 2006)
- The annual Advanced Summer School on Economics & Econometrics (August 2006 to the present)
The Department also organizes weekly seminars on topics of research interest to the members of the department, both staff and students.