Point Loma Nazarene University is known for being forward-thinking. At PLNU, academics, faith, and community are all vital. Students benefit from this balanced approach to education and leave PLNU prepared to think, act, and contribute to the world.
PLNU offers more than 60 undergraduate areas of study and graduate program regional centers in Bakersfield, Mission Valley (San Diego), and the Inland Empire. Founded in 1902, PLNU serves more than 3,500 students.
Did you know?
- PLNU’s medical school acceptance rate was greater than 90 percent between 2001 to 2011.
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance named PLNU one of the top 100 best values among private institutions. PLNU was the No. 9 institution overall in the state and No. 96 in the nation.
- In the 2008 Open Doors report, PLNU’s study abroad programranked 15th in the nation (among master’s degree-granting institutions) for percentage of undergraduates participating – about 30 percent of graduating seniors have studied abroad.
- PLNU is nationally recognized for its leadership in the area ofsustainability – winning San Diego Environmental Services Recycler of the Year Award four out of the last six years and being named one of America's 100 greenest schools by the Sierra Club in both 2010 and 2011.
- Through PLNU's LoveWorks Short-term Mission Program, more than 2,000 students, faculty, staff, and alumni have served people in need in approximately 60 world areas.
- PLNU’s Center for International Development researches sustainable business practices and solutions to global poverty.
- Since 2005, 22 student films/TV programs have won awards or appeared at film festivals.
- PLNU’s Speech and Debate Team has been national champion in the National Parliamentary Debate Associations’ yearlong sweepstakes competition four out of the last seven years, competing against such schools as UC Berkeley and UCLA.
Point Loma Nazarene University exists to provide higher education in a vital Christian community where minds are engaged and challenged, character is modeled and formed, and service becomes an expression of faith. Being of Wesleyan heritage, we aspire to be a learning community where grace is foundational, truth is pursued, and holiness is a way of life.
The university, established in 1902 by the Church of the Nazarene, offers quality liberal arts and professional programs on its main campus in San Diego and select graduate and professional programs throughout the denomination’s southwest educational region.
Point Loma Nazarene University will be a nationally prominent Christian university and a leading Wesleyan voice in higher education and the church – known for excellence in academic preparation, wholeness in personal development, and faithfulness to mission.
The university will be recognized for
- Spiritual vitality centered on the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
- A robust scholarly community that promotes excellence in teaching, research, and service.
- A collegial community characterized by civility and respect, where all members are valued and encouraged to fulfill their potential.
- A distinctive undergraduate curriculum and co-curricular experience that offer a model in higher education.
- Exceptional undergraduate programs preparing students for success in graduate school and their professions.
- Select graduate programs of quality and professional relevance.
- Participation and influence in professional and academic organizations at the national level.
- Superior student retention and graduation rates.
- A thoughtful articulation and consistent embodiment of a Wesleyan approach to faithful living.
- Effective efforts in the development of pastoral and lay leadership in collaboration with the church.
- An exemplary model of student engagement for service to community and church.
- A source of expertise, resource, and involvement for the university’s surrounding communities.