The Japan Association for Language Teaching (JALT) is a nonprofit organisation dedicated to the improvement of language teaching and learning with nearly 3,000 members in chapters and affiliates across Japan as well as members abroad. Over 800 JALT members belong to one or more of the following Special Interest Groups (SIGs):
- Bilingualism (BIL) SIG
- Business English (BE) SIG
- College and University Educators (CUE) SIG
- Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) SIG
- Critical Thinking (CT) SIG
- Extensive Reading (ER) SIG
- Framework and Language Portfolio (FLP) SIG
- Gender Awareness in Language Education (GALE) SIG
- Global Issues in Language Education (GILE) SIG
- Japanese as a Second Language (JSL) SIG
- Junior & Senior High School (JSHS) SIG
- Learner Development (LD) SIG
- Lifelong Language Learning (LLL) SIG
- Literature in Language Teaching (LILT) SIG
- Materials Writers (MW) SIG
- Other Language Educators (OLE) SIG
- Pragmatics (PRAG) SIG
- Professionalism, Administration and Leadership in Education (PALE) SIG
- Speech, Drama, & Debate (SD & D) SIG
- Study Abroad (SA) SIG
- Task Based Learning (TBL) SIG
- Teacher Education and Development (TED) SIG
- Teachers Helping Teachers (THT) SIG
- Teaching Children (TC) SIG
- Testing and Evaluation (TEVAL) SIG
- Vocabulary (VOCAB) SIG
You can easily join or renew your membership online. JALT membership offers the following benefits:
- Admittance to JALT events including the annual international conference at member rates.
- Most chapters hold regular meetings, attendance of which is free or at reduced rates for members.
- Members also receive copies of JALT’s two main publications; The Language Teacher and JALT Journal.
The Language Teacher
The Language Teacher, the bimonthly publication of the Japan Association for Language Teaching, publishes articles and other material related to language teaching, particularly in an Asian context. TLT also serves the important role of publicizing information about the organization and its many events.
JALT Journal is the research journal of the Japan Association for Language Teaching. It is published semiannually, in May and November, and contains articles, perspectives and reviews.
JALT Conference Proceedings
The JALT Conference Proceedings are annual volumes produced by the Conference Publications Committee of the Japan Association for Language Teaching. They stand as a record of our conferences — what was presented, and what was subsequently achieved.
There are also a number of publications put out by JALT SIGs. See the links below for details.
- B-SIG Publications—Publications of the Bilingualism SIG
- Between the Keys— The official newsletter of the Materials Writers SIG
- The JALT CALL Journal—The journal of the CALL SIG
- Explorations in Teacher Education—The Teacher Education and Development SIG newsletter
- Global Issues in Language Education—The Global Issues in Language Education SIG newsletter archives; over 100 articles online.
- Learning Learning—The Learner Development SIG newsletter
- The LLL SIG Newsletter—The official newsletter of the Lifelong Language Learning SIG (Originally “TOLd You So!”)
- On CUE—The College & University Educators’ SIG journal
- JALT Pan-SIG Conference Proceedings—Once a year the proceedings of each annual Pan-SIG conference of JALT is published online. The proceedings of all previous JALT Pan-SIG conference are found on this site.
- The School House—The Junior Senior High School SIG newsletter
- Shiken—The Testing & Evaluation SIG newsletter
- TLC (Teachers Learning with Children)—The Teaching Children SIG bilingual newsletter