Towards actualising the University’s vision, IIUM endeavours to:
- Undertake the special and greatly needed task of reforming the contemporary Muslim mentality and integrating Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences in a positive manner.
- Produce better quality intellectuals, professionals and scholars by integrating the qualities of faith (iman), knowledge (‘ilm), and good character (akhlaq) to serve as agents of comprehensive and balanced progress as well as sustainable development in Malaysia and in the Muslim world.
- Foster the Islamization of the ethics of Muslim academic and administrative staff of IIUM, and certain aspects of human knowledge– particularly in the social sciences and humanities– with the view to making them more useful and more relevant to the Muslim Ummah.
- Nurture the quality of holistic excellence which is imbued with Islamic moral-spiritual values in the process of learning, teaching, research, consultancy, publication, administration, and student life.
- To exemplify an international community of dedicated intellectuals, scholars, professionals, officers and workers who are motivated by the Islamic world-view and code of ethics as an integral part of their work culture.
- To enhance intercultural understanding and foster civilization dialogues in Malaysia as well as across communities and nations.
- To develop an environment which instills commitment for life-long learning, and a deep sense of social responsibility amongst staff and students
The summary of the Mission should read as follows:
- Internationalization, and
- Comprehensive Excellence