The International Humanitarian Studies Association is a network of people engaged in the study of humanitarian crises caused by natural disaster, conflict or political instability. Humanitarian studies concern how humanitarian crises evolve, how they affect people and their institutions, communities and societies, and the responses they trigger.
IHSA forms a platform for the different disciplines that address humanitarian studies, including international relations, international law, development studies, anthropology, conflict studies, public health and forced migration studies. It offers a venue where these scholarly communities can meet and debate their different insights and understanding of humanitarian crises, in dialogue with policy actors and implementing agencies. IHSA equally welcomes academic scholars, consultants, policy researchers, and reflective practitioners among its membership.
The aim of IHSA is to strengthen and advance a global network of universities, specialised research centres, inter-governmental and non governmental organisations in order to enhance a better alignment between knowledge, policy and practice in resolving humanitarian crises.
To achieve this aim, IHSA shall support activities to:
- secure and develop institutional and personal contacts between humanitarian scholars policymakers and practitioners throughout the world;
- convene meetings and regularly scheduled world conferences;
- encourage the international dissemination and exchange of information on developments in the humanitarian field;
- facilitate and promote international research in the humanitarian field;
- prepare and disseminate publications on topics relevant to work field of the IHSA.
A major IHSA activity is facilitating the World Conference of Humanitarian Studies every two years.
Become a Member
IHSA equally welcomes academic scholars, consultants, policy researchers, and reflective practitioners among its membership. Members:
- Are entitled to elect the officers of the Board of IHSA
- Can participate in IHSA web-based activities
- Are entitled to a discount for the World Conferences of Humanitarian Studies
- Receive a regular IHSA newsletter