ISANA is the representative body for professionals in Australia and New Zealand who work in international student services, advocacy, teaching and policy development in international education.
ISANA: International Education Association is an association of Australian and New Zealand international education professionals whose members are dedicated to the advancement of international education through:
- leadership, promotion and advocacy of best practice standards in the service of international education;
- the facilitation of relevant forums, training and information exchange for its membership and the community; and
- working in partnership with stakeholder organisations including international students, educational, government, business and community groups
ISANA aims to assist those directly and professionally engaged in the provision of international education services. It does this by:
- Providing a means for the exchange of information and networking
- Facilitating professional development of members
- Building links with associated organisations locally and overseas
- Recognising the interests and rights of international students in Australia and New Zealand.
ISANA began as the Overseas Student Advisers' Network (OSAN) in 1989, with Anne Skea as its founding president. It was established in response to the support needs of the growing number of international students enrolling at Australian Universities.With over 600 members across all education sectors, we draw from a range of professional groups including academic staff, marketing, recruitment and educational support specialists. It was formed as a special interest group of the Australian and New Zealand Student Services Association (ANZSSA), as a network of people in new roles of delivering support services to international students.
OSAN, later renamed the International Student Advisers' Network of Australia, conducted conferences, and addressed issues of international student experiences in Australia, developing the framework of discussion that we continue today.
In 1997 members voted to become an incorporated association, with its own constitution. The current logo was designed by Suzanne Lim, and launched by the then President, Margaret Hill in November 1998. In 1999 the Association became ISANA: International Education Association, to reflect the broader roles its members have in the field, and currently represents professional staff working across Australia and New Zealand, which formed an ISANA branch in 2001.
The ISANA network is active in Universities, Colleges, Schools, English language centres and other organisations providing services in international education. ISANA branches exist in each Australian State and Territory, and in New Zealand, as well as several dynamic special interest groups.
ISANA is supported by a number of educational institutions and groups, including our principal sponsor OSHC Worldcare.