Integrating Content and Language in Higher Education (ICLHE) is an association of individuals concerned with all aspects of the Integration of Content and Language in Higher Education. ICLHE has been in existence as from 1 January 2010. ICLHE aims to promote exchange of opinions, experiences, initiatives and research concerning the interface between content and language in higher education.
ICLHE is open to people in universities and institutes of higher education with an interest in content and language, including people concerned with teaching and learning through a second language, and teaching and learning through a national language to people of migrant or ethnic communities.
ICLHE also welcomes policymakers and researchers in international bodies and professional societies, publishers, representatives of national and international authorities, and others with an interest in the integration of content and language in higher education.
ICLHE is an initiative with origins back in the margins of conferences in the 1990s. Discussions at these conferences led to a series of symposia culminating in a major ICLHE conference at Maastricht, Netherlands, in 2003. This conference was followed by a second one in 2006 which led to a general feeling to establish some kind of organization for people with an interest in content and language in higher education. The ICLHE Association is the outcome.
The ICLHE Assocation is an independent, self-financing assocation, funded by its members. It is not dependent on subsidies for its existence or on the goodwill of a host university to proivde services. This does not preclude the Assocation from seeking subsidies or grants to initiate and pursue projects in line with the aims of the Assocation, nor from collaborating with other parties whether subsidized or not. The self-financing nature of the Assocation means that ICLHE is owned by its members.
- ICLHE aims to provide a platform for the exchange of opinions, experiences, initiatives and research concerning the interface between content and language in higher education.
- ICLHE aims to take initiatives in order to stimulate the synergy from cooperation among members from different backgrounds and contexts.
- ICLHE will provide a site for information about publications, books, conferences and events, initiatives, and governmental measures.
- ICLHE will provide an online forum for members to post information, calls, news, results of research, and other data of relevance and interest.
- ICLHE may organize events and activities in its own right.