Ifo Institute’s Dresden Branch, founded in 1993, conducts theoretical and empirical economic research. Ifo Dresden’s studies focus on the economic transition process and economic development of Saxony’s and East Germany’s economy, but also on the situation of the eastern EU-accession countries. Moreover, ifo Dresden offers economic policy consulting services and serves as a forum for scientists, politicians and entrepreneurs.
Fields of research
- Business cycles and growth in Saxony and eastern Germany
- Human capital, structural change and Saxony’s/eastern Germany’s position in the competition for the most attractive industrial locations
- Labour market and social policy in Saxony and Eastern Germany
- Integration of Saxony and the other new federal states in the international division of labour (especially with Central and Eastern Europe)
- Public finance and business development in Saxony and the new federal states
Besides conducting research projects ifo Dresden offers several additional services. Ifo Dresden publishes economic policy analyses for a wide audience in the periodical ifo Dresden berichtet and the book series ifo Dresden Studien. Ifo Dresden supports politicians, researchers and unions by providing information and offering consulting services as well as organizing workshops.
In late June and December ifo Dresden organizes conferences on the current situation of Saxony’s and Eastern Germany’s economic situation. In the course of the series Dresdner Vorträge zur Wirtschaftspolitik prominent economic experts gice lectures on actual economic topics. These lectures are open to the public.
Since 1994 ifo Dresden publishes the journal ifo Dresden berichtet (6 issues per year). In this periodical ifo Dresden’s researchers as well as guest writers publish the results of their analyses of the economic situation of Eastern Germany.
Results of comprehensive research projects are published in the book series ifo Dresden Studien. The titles of the issues give a reasonably full account of the research profile of the ifo Dresden Branch.