The Academy of Visual Arts, the first academy of its kind to be established by a local university, seeks to provide the best visual arts degree programmes through excellent teaching and international exchange so as to meet the needs of the creative industries in the region.
The Academy of Visual Arts, the first academy of its kind to be established by a local university, seeks to provide the best visual arts degree programmes through excellent teaching and international exchange so as to build up a visual arts academy of international renown to tie in with the development in the field of visual arts and meet the needs of the fast-growing creative industries in the region. It is committed to nurturing creative talents with professionalism.
The Academy of Visual Arts will endeavour:
- To become a leading academy of visual arts of high renown in the region;
- To develop a curriculum of high standard and ensure quality teaching through collaboration with other faculties and schools of the University as well as external parties, and international exchanges, with a view to developing first-class BA and MA courses in visual arts;
- To engage in practice and theoretical research in both visual arts and other disciplines so as to pursue creative art work and formulate innovative projects;
- To nurture graduates with holistic personality, aesthetic capabilities, skills of artistic creation, a broad range of cultural perspectives, knowledge of the latest technology and media, understanding of Chinese cultural heritage and developments in the world of visual arts;
- To nurture capable professionals for the visual arts arena and the creative industries;
- To become a stronghold of knowledge and arts and an ideal platform for students and staff as well as scholars and artists, from both the mainland and overseas, to pursue creative work, teach, conduct exchanges, exhibit their works and organize forums.
To see, to think, to create
In accordance with our motto, the aim of any study-programme at the Academy of Visual Arts is to educate students to develop individual problem-solving skills, that enable them to master any creative task coming across the paths of their future careers. The AVA thus aims to produce highly individual creatives with distinct personal abilities, which are not oriented merely on the technical demands of today, but provide a solid foundation for a life-long artistic development.
The Academy of Visual Arts teaches its students to perceive their surroundings, to value their traditions, to be curious for the new and foreign. AVA creates awareness for the stimuli in the environment, the impact of form, colour, sound on the senses. It opens the students up for experiences. AVA aims to break down the boundaries of concepts, beliefs, perceptions and hypotheses. An open heart and an open mind are the important condition of constructive creativity.
On this basis the student will become aware of the contemporary issues of society, be they local, regional or global. AVA encourages the active participation of the student in today’s globalised world, making them think about solutions for the problems of today and tomorrow. By treating each student individually the Academy of Visual Arts builds an environment in which each student may foster his/her personal abilities and preferences, learn to (self-)critically think and develop his/her ideas.
As one distinctive characteristic the AVA does not distinguish between the Arts and Design. All creative disciplines are understood as equally valuable outlet of ideas and concepts. Within one course a student may take an artistic approach to fulfill the given assignment, while his neighbour develops a design-piece. Also in the greater picture the AVA promotes thinking beyond the trenches between Art and Design and to apply creativity according to the best possible outcome for the task.