Bangalore University is located in the Garden City of Bangalore aptly hailed as the “I.T. Capital of India” and was established in July 1964 as an off shoot of the University of Mysore, primarily to include institutions of higher learning located in the metropolitan city of Bangalore and the districts of Bangalore, Kolar and Tumkur, which eventually became a separate university. Initially, the two premier colleges of the city, the Central College (CC) and the University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering (UVCE) formed the nucleus of Bangalore University.
Bangalore University has completed Forty Seven years of fruitful existence and has come to be hailed as one of the largest universities of Asia. Though originally intended to be a federal university, it has eventually emerged as an affiliating University. The University was first accredited in 2002 by NAAC with Five Star Status and was re-accredited in the year 2008 with ‘A’ Grade. According to India Today — Nielsen survey of May 31st 2010, Bangalore University ranks 13th in the list of 50 top Universities in the Country.
Academically, the University is structured into six faculties– Arts, Science, Commerce & Management, Education, Law and Engineering. It has 43 Post Graduate Departments, One post graduate Centre at Kolar, (Started during 1994 – 95), three constituent colleges, 665 affiliated colleges (of which 115 have PG Courses) and several other Centres and Directorates of higher learning and research under its purview.
At present, the University offers 50 Post Graduate Courses and Employment Oriented Diploma and Certificate Courses. The University has launched the Five years Integrated Courses in Biological Sciences, Social Sciences, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences and Business Studies and the Four years B.S. Programme and will be starting a course in Criminology and Rehabilitation from this academic year.
The University is also reaching out to the society by organizing endowment and extension lectures apart from bringing out publications on issues of contemporary relevance through its Prasaranga division.
The Bangalore University has achieved milestones by establishing MOU5 with Universities and Institutions of national and international repute. To cater to a student population of over three lakhs, the University is striving to provide access, expansion and excellence in higher education. The vision of the University is to make distinctive and significant contributions to the cause of higher education in Humanities, Social Science Law, Commerce, Science & Technology. The University is providing quality teaching and encouragement to research in frontier areas with social relevance that would reflect its mission and goals aptly symbolized by its emblem – JNANAM VIGNANA SAHITHAM.
- To promote excellence in education for a vibrant and inclusive society through knowledge creation and dissemination
- To Import quality education to meet national and global challenges
- To blend theoretical knowledge with practical skills
- To encourage the faculty to pursue academic excellence through high quality research and publication
- To provide access to all sections of society to pursue higher education
- To promote the use of new technologies in teaching and research
- To inculcate right values among students while encouraging
- To promote leadership qualities among students
- To produce socially sensitive citizens
- To contribute nation building
- To hasten the process of creating a knowledge society