To deliver excellence in innovation, insight and discovery through our people, partnerships, nuclear expertise and landmark infrastructure.
Under the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation Act 1987, ANSTO's core functions are to:
- Conduct research and development in relation to nuclear science and technology
- Produce and use radioisotopes, isotopic techniques and nuclear radiation for medicine, science, industry, commerce and agriculture
- Encourage and facilitate the application and use of the results from research and development
- Manage radioactive materials and waste arising from various prescribed activities
- Provide goods and services related to core activities
- Provide advice to government and undertake international liaison in nuclear-related matters
- Make available (on a commercial basis where appropriate) facilities, equipment and expertise for research in nuclear science and technology
- Publish scientific and technical reports, periodicals and papers, and provide public information and advice.
ANSTO's core values
Safety, security and environmental sustainability – safeguarding human health, ensuring high priority to safe and secure operations, and minimising our environmental footprint
One ANSTO – a unique organisation, working as one to harness the power of nuclear science and technology to solve the great scientific, environmental and human challenges of our times
Transformation and Performance – increased flexibility, agility and efficiency through de-bureaucratisation, increased accountability and performance through a focus on outcomes
Partnerships and Collaboration – working collaboratively with our partners, both internal and external, for the benefit of government, customers and the community.
A full PDF version of ANSTO's Corporate Plan 2010-2015 is also available for download.