Mission Statement and Goals
The mission of the Department of English is to cultivate an understanding of the English language and its literature that prepares students for academic and professional success.The department’s programs expand students’ understanding of the complexities of various cultures and their global interactions and prepare students for further studies in the art, humanities or social studies. The Department of English also contributes to the university’s general education requirements by offering a range of undergraduate courses.
The department offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in English with concentrations in language or literature and minors in English Language and in English Literature. The department also offers a Master of Arts in TESOL program.
The goals of the Department of English are
- Enhance students’ oral and written communication skills
- Develop students’ ability to use English fluently and accurately
- Increase students’ English proficiency in a variety of media, genres and contexts
- Prepare students to think critically and to view and analyze information objectively as well as subjectively
- Develop students’ ability to synthesize information from a variety of disciplines in order to foster independent thought and creative ideas
Students who major in English can pursue a variety of careers upon graduation including teaching, creative writing, writing/editing, publishing, translation, advertising, diplomacy and, education