The Mission of The American University in Dubai is to fulfill the broad educational needs of a culturally diverse student body by achieving excellence in teaching and learning, ultimately resulting in the intellectual, personal, and professional success of its graduates and the advancement of society.
Philosophy and Purpose of the University
The university community believes it has a special commitment to support each individual’s goals. To this end, the university places emphasis on the educational, professional and personal growth of each student. AUD, as an international institution of higher education, encourages global understanding by providing an atmosphere of cultural diversity and opportunities for international education. Programs, policies and activities – which have been designed to implement this Philosophy and Purpose Statement – are evaluated periodically and changed, as necessary, to meet the needs of the student body and the institution.
Purpose-Related Goals of the University
In support of its Mission and Philosophy, AUD’s Goals are as follows:
- To cultivate and reward excellence, especially as it affects the imparting, acquisition, and advancement of knowledge;
- To guide students in the use of their knowledge and skills for personal and professional fulfillment;
- To foster an appreciation of the history and on-going development of human culture;
- To develop critical thinking, effective communication and lifelong learning skills;
- To promote the value of ethical behavior, responsibility, and commitment;
- To provide academic programs, services, facilities, and technologies that offer diverse opportunities for learning;
- To recruit and retain a diverse faculty of qualified educators, providing them with the environment and opportunity to flourish;
- To foster intercultural understanding as a basis for preparing students as members of a global community;
- To contribute to the economic and societal development of Dubai, the United Arab Emirates and beyond.
- Enhanced standards and quality in program offerings;
- Greater diversification in program portfolio;
- Greater emphasis on the liberal arts;
- Ever more “American” in terms of the total educational experience;
- Strengthened integration with local community (university as a “point of reference”);
- Expanded facilities and technology application.
There are seven (7) Values that underpin AUD’s operations and development and that characterize its dealings with students, faculty, staff, and other constituents:
- Whole Person Education – AUD values the intellectual, personal and professional development of its students;
- Excellence – AUD values excellence in all that it does and is committed to continuous improvement in its educational offerings and services;
- Integrity – AUD values honesty and transparency and has high standards of legal-adherence, morality and ethics;
- Service – AUD values all of its constituencies and partners with its stakeholders in the achievement of their objectives and aspirations;
- Diversity – AUD values diversity in all its manifestations and recognizes its contribution to the quality of university life;
- Tolerance – AUD values respect and open-mindedness as proper responses to concepts, opinions and customs that are diverse, new or unfamiliar.
- Accountability – AUD believes that all members of the university community are responsible for fulfilling their roles in support of the institutional Mission and Purpose-related Goals and that evaluation of individual performance should be based on the degree to which this responsibility is satisfied.