History and Mission
Academia Sinica, the most preeminent academic institution in the Republic of China, was founded in 1928 to promote and undertake scholarly research in sciences and humanities. After the government moved to Taiwan in 1949, Academia Sinica was re-established in Taipei. The growth of Academia Sinica during the transition period was initially slow due to political instability and meager budgets.
Thanks to the great efforts of the past Presidents, especially former President Yuan-Tseh Lee, Academia Sinica overcame many difficulties to reach its present success. It is now a modern research institution with a worldwide reputation and a proud tradition. Under the leadership of current President Chi-Huey Wong, Academia Sinica is making further progress in improving research conditions and results. Many of the twenty-four research institutes and seven research centers are now headed by world-renowned scholars and staffed by highly trained, motivated, and creative young investigators. Major strides have also been made toward raising the standards of academic research, and Academia Sinica is presently positioning itself to move its research activities to the international level. Aside from placing greater emphasis on opening up new areas of intellectual endeavor, Academia Sinica is also taking a leadership role in launching new initiatives in applied areas to meet a broad spectrum of social needs in Taiwan.
In order to fulfill these goals, Academia Sinica has adopted
various measures to promote the internal integration of
research activities in the three research disciplines of
mathematics and physical sciences, life sciences, and
humanities and social sciences; to improve the planning,
implementation, and evaluation of long-term projects in order
to enhance the impact of the research activities; to harness
basic research results for applications and technology
transfer; to engage the entire academic and research
community in Taiwan in a modern and forward-looking
collective academic vision; to cultivate an intellectual
environment that is conducive to the nurturing of young
scholars and the recognition of outstanding scholarship in
Taiwan; and to promote international cooperation and
scholarly exchanges that will accelerate the overall
development of academic research in Academia Sinica and the
Republic of China.
Facts and Figures
Academia Sinica has
- 264 Academicians of which 103 are Domestic Academicians and 161 are Overseas Academicians. Of the total, 112 academicians work in Mathematics and Physical Sciences; 90 in Life Sciences; and 62 in Humanities and Social Sciences.
- 851 Principle Investigators: 99 Distinguished Research Fellows; 332 Research Fellows; 248 Associate Research Fellows; 172 Assistant Research Fellows.
- 97 Specialists: 22 Senior Research Specialists; 29 Associate Research Specialists; 46 Assistant Research Specialists.
- 950 Postdoctoral Fellows.
- Total 2056 students of which 1202 are Ph.D. students; 749 Master's degree students; 105 students.
- The Divisions of Humanities and Social Sciences are made up of 11 institutes and 1 center.
- The Divisions of Mathematics and Physical Sciences are made up of 8 institutes and 3 centers.
- The Division of Life Sciences is made up of 5 institutes and 3 centers.