You are kindly invited to participate in the International Conference on Democratic Decentralisation and Peoples Participation, organised by the Kerala Institute of Local Administration, taking place in Kerala, India December 20-23, 2012.
Democratic decentralisation and people’s participation is increasingly becoming a subject of discussion considering its importance in social development. Democracy and democratic decision making will be more meaningful when it becomes closer to the people. Strengthening of local governments, by means of devolving functions, functionaries and finance is found to be one the effective ways of decentralisation. And such experiments are being made all over the world. For example, in India, the 73rd and 74th Amendments to the Constitutions of India and the resultant strengthening of local governments have made significant impact on poverty reduction and quality of life.
The key to the success of decentralisation lies in the level of people’s participation. In turn, the effective participation of people depends on the capacity building for equipping people to participate in local level planning, monitoring and implementation. Models are being emerged based on learning-by-doing. Kerala, the southernmost state in India, has successfully experimented democratic decentralisation and people’s participation in local level planning.
The objective of the conference is to share the experiences in democratic decentralisation and participatory planning so as to formulate a strategy for further strengthening of local governments. We welcome session proposals and papers in a wide range of substantive areas, including the following:
- Local Governance
- Devolution of Functions and Finance to Local Governments
- Services of Local Governments
- Local Level Participatory Planning
- Local Economic Development
- Poverty Reduction
- Livelihood Management
- Natural Resource Management
- György Szell, Prof. em. Dr., University of Osnabrück, Germany, past President ISA/RC10, Germany
- Peter M. Raj, Assistant Professor, KILA, India
- Heinz Sünker, University of Wuppertal and past President ISA/RC10, Germany
- J.B. Rajan, Assistant Professor, KILA, India
- C.P. John, Member, State Planning Board, Government of Kerala, India
- Abey George, Assistant Professor, KILA, India
A few grants are available for accommodation, transport and stay which will be informed to the paper presenters on or before 31st July 2012.