Forum 2012 is the beginning of an exciting new series of the well-known and respected Global Forum for Health Research meetings.
Forum 2012 will challenge a new look at development. Under the theme of ”Beyond Aid… Research and Innovation as key drivers for Health, Equity and Development, the Global Forum for Health Researchand COHRED will focus on potentials, solutions, and already available capacities – specifically in low- and middle-income countries and emerging economies – and how global collaboration can leverage this for a new era of global development support. Research, science & technology and innovation for health and equity are crucial to this.
Forum 2012 will be held in Cape Town, South Africa, 24-26 April 2012. It aims to make a unique contribution to health, equity and development in a measurable way.
Forum 2012 will focus on these 3 key areas to achieve this goal:
- Investing in Research and Innovation for Health
- Networks and Networking for Research and Innovation
- Creating an Enabling Environment for Research and Innovation
Forum 2012 will be a new kind for “Global Forum”
- “362/3” – 362 days of work, discussion and action – not just 3 days of meetings
- “Change … not just exchange”
- Participants as change makers – defining objectives of this and future Forums
- “Beyond aid”: taking the rapidly expanding research and innovation capacity of LMIC’s as basis for development
- Impact on people’s health: delivery not just research – innovation not just knowledge
Who should attend?
Forum 2012 will bring together seven key constituencies which are 1) governments, 2) research institutions, 3) business, 4) social enterprises – NGO – CSO, 5) international organizations, 6) research funders and contractors, 7) and media. It will serve as a platform to bring together the world’s top change makers from both North and South to work together hand in hand through equal partnerships to effect change.