The V. Sivaram Research Foundation (VSRF) together with the Century Foundation and University of Technology Mara are kindly inviting you to participate in the 5th Global Summit on Medical and Aromatic Plants 2013, held December 8 – 12, 2013 in Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia.
The theme of the summit will be Herbal Drugs for Health Care in 21st Century.
Scope of the Meeting
Medicinal and aromatic plants in many forms have been used since the ancient times in the traditional medicinal practices for health care. South Asia is home to many rich, traditional systems of medicine (TSM). Ayurvedic system dates back to 5000 B.C. Along with the Unani, Siddha and Tibetan systems, these TSMs remain important source of everyday health and livelihood for tens of millions of people.
According to WHO report, medicinal plants are accessible, affordable and culturally appropriate sources of primary health care for more than 80% of the world population relies on traditional medicine largely plant based for their primary healthcare needs. According to WHO, the international market of herbal products is estimated to be US $ 62 billion which is poised to grow to US $ 5 trillion by the year 2050.
Aromatic plants and their products particularly essential oils are becoming more important. Traditional medicine is, at the present time accepted as an alternative for or used in conjunction with the western medical practice in many countries.
The 5th Global Summit on Medicinal and Aromatic Plants is therefore being organized to provide a forum for research scientists, traditional health practitioners, academicians, representatives from the medical and pharmaceutical industries, conservation biologists, biochemists, NGOs, policy makers, farmers, government agencies etc. to discuss, share the advanced information and experiences on MAP. Also, the scheduled meeting is very important for future research collaboration and networking between institutions particularly in the promotion and development of medicinal and aromatic plant sector for sustainable health promotional activities.
Topics of the Summit
- Biodiversity, management and conservation of MAPs
- Biotechnology, cultivation and industrial processing of MAPs
- pharmacology and toxicology
- Quality control
- Economics and Marketing
- IPR and Patent Laws
- Herbal drugs in Animal Health care
- Aromatic oils in health and industrial applications
- Herbal drugs in controlling of Viral diseases like HIV, AIDS, H1N1, Dengue Fever, etc
- Causes and consequences of over exploitation of MAPs in natural habitats
- Any other topic which is related to MAPs
- Cultivation and production of medicinal and aromatic plants
- Conservation and management of MAPs in natural habitats
- Safety and efficacy of phytomedicines and phytocosmetics
- Isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds
- Nanotechnology in pharmaceutical, phytocosmetics and natural products
- Biodiversity prospecting and ethnopharmacology
- Perspectives in natural products chemistry.
- Targeted screening approaches for drugs and cosmetics.
- Quality, efficacy and safety of phytomedicines and phytocosmetics
- Technology developments in industrial processing of MAPs.
- Economics and marketing of medicinal and aromatic plants
- New developments in laws and regulations for the use of MAPs trade and industry perspective
- Traditional medicine and health systems for new and old diseases (Ayurveda, siddha, unani, chinese, homeopathy etc)
- Nutraceuticals and antioxidnats
- Herbal drugs as veterinary medicine