ICMLG 2017 is being held at the Wits Business School, Parktown in Johannesburg, South Africa on 16 – 17 March 2017 and the Conference Co-Chairs are Dr Thabang Mokoaleli-Mokoteli and Dr Zanele Ndaba.
It is now 5 years since the International Conference on Management, Leadership and Governance was established. The conference has traversed the globe, having been held in New Zealand, Thailand, Russia and the USA. ICMLG is generally attended by participants from more than 35 countries and attracts an interesting combination of academic scholars, practitioners and individuals who are engaged in various aspects of management, leadership and governance.
ICMLG 2017 offers an opportunity for scholars and practitioners interested in the issues related to Management, Leadership and Governance to share their thinking and research findings. These fields of study are broadly described as including strategic and operational managerial topics, the leadership challenges facing senior and high potential management and the formal and informal governance of the organisation. The Conference provides a forum for discussion, collaboration and intellectual exchange for all those interested in any of these fields of research or practice. Work focusing on entrepreneurship and/or sustainability will be particularly welcome in Johannesburg in 2017.
- Developing strategic leadership capabilities
- Entrepreneurial leadership
- Leadership and management Styles
- Gender and leadership
- Leadership for sustainability
- Leaders role in innovation
- Leadership in non-profit settings
- Leadership and the family enterprise
- Leading change and managing conflict
- Leading from the middle – centralized vs. decentralized control
- Leadership challenges – barriers to effective communications
- Legal regulations/frameworks
- Labour market conditions, labour force qualifications and social trends
- Functional organizational dynamics
- Identifying the locus of control – differences between finance vs. marketing dominated companies
- Trends in corporate governance policies and procedures
- Regional variance in company governance
- External and internal influences on regional governance policy.
- Governance challenges in the family-owned business
- Governance roles for venture capitalists/private equity funders
- Corporate social responsibility – stakeholder or stockholder driven?
- Corporate governance in emerging economies
Strategic and Operational Management
- Managing in the digital economy
- The entrepreneurs dilemma – managing on a small budget
- Issues in project management
- Managing across company boundaries – strategic partnering.
- Executive education/professional development for rapidly changing marketplaces
- Managing the customer experience
- Managing the public/private partnership
- Determining corporate/business unit/regional strategies – who is in charge?
In addition to the main conference topics above, the advisory group invite suggestions for mini tracks. If you would be interested in preparing and chairing a mini track, please contact the Conference Director, Sue Nugus.
Papers accepted for the ICMLG will be published in the conference proceedings, subject to author registration and payment. Additionally papers presented at the Conference will be considered for further development and publication in the following Journals: