Cancer is a highly complex disease that must be tackled in a complex way. This is exactly the approach that we have taken in developing a strong Scientific and Educational Program for the 2012 ESMO Vienna Congress: a 360° medical oncology perspective into cancer management, from translational research advances to side-effect management and so much more.
ESMO Vienna 2012 will offer a program of excellence – remaining faithful to the proven winning formula of previous congresses while also introducing new sessions and improving the format of existing ones. Our goal is to trigger the conversations that will help us all prepare for – and respond to – the rapidly changing times which are in many respects as daunting as they are promising. Simply put, ESMO Congresses are moving with the times, our times.
As medical oncologists we form part of a multidisciplinary cancer team involving as many different specialists as required to get the right treatment to the right individual at the right time. To achieve this, it is critical for our community to keep fully updated on the latest breakthroughs at the basic, translational and clinical research levels. We must also connect and network with colleagues to guarantee the widest possible exchange and dissemination of information.
As our knowledge of cancer biology improves and new approaches to treatment and diagnosis develop, the management of cancer patients will continue to change substantially. The identification of new biomarkers is increasingly supporting the development of targeted drugs, which pose crucial challenges for the daily practice:
Who will really benefit from them?
Can we manage all possible side-effects?
Are these new drugs affordable?
How can we best respond and adapt to new and emerging treatment approaches and paradigms?
These are just some of the many questions that will be addressed during our discussions at ESMO Vienna 2012, with state-of-the-art education and best practices, presentations and conversations with top experts from various disciplines, controversial debates and, of course, the very latest cutting-edge research. For the advancement of our field, we also need you! We are looking forward to reviewing your inspiring research that will benefit the treatment and care of our patients today, the future of those tomorrow. Whichever stage your study has reached, the ESMO Congress offers you the definitive platform upon which to join us in collectively shaping the future of medical oncology.
In so few words it is impossible to capture the promise of the forthcoming ESMO Vienna Congress. Suffice it to say, there is something new in store for all and, most importantly, the ESMO Congress provides an unparalleled opportunity for us to come together, debate, exchange and engage.
- Basic science - Melanoma and other skin tumors
- Biomarkers - Neuroendocrine tumors and CUP
- Breast cancer, early - New diagnostics
- Breast cancer, locally advanced - NSCLC locally advanced
- Breast cancer, metastatic - NSCLC, early
- CNS tumors - NSCLC, metastatic
- Developmental therapeutics - Oncology and public health
- Endocrine tumors - Palliative care
- Familial cancer and genetic syndromes - Prevention and screening
- Gastrointestinal tumors, colorectal - Psycho-oncology
- Gastrointestinal tumors, non-colorectal - Sarcoma
- Genitourinary tumors, prostate - SCLC
- Genitourinary tumors, non-prostate - Supportive care
- Gynecological cancers - Thoracic malignancies, other
- Head and neck cancer - Translational research
- Hematological malignancies Tumor biology and pathology