The International Academic Forum (IAFOR) is kindly inviting you to participate in the 2nd European Conference on Arts and Humanities (ECAH), held July 13 – 16, 2015 in Brighton, United Kingdom at the Thistle Brighton Hotel.
For the second consecutive year, the European Conference on Arts & Humanities will be held alongside the 2nd European Conference Literature and Librarianship (LibEuro), the 2nd European Conference on Media, Communication and Film (EuroMedia) and the 1st European Conference on Cultural Studies (ECCS). Registration for any one of these conferences will allow participants to attend sessions in the others.
Conference Theme: “Power”
While the fields of arts and the humanities can seem removed from issues related to power, both can exercise power in the form of social influence through words and images, or can examine the exercise and influences of such power on humanity. The study and analysis of different expressions of power can move from serious existential questions at the personal level to complex social and even political problems at a wider level. Is the pen (or brush) truly mightier than the sword? And if so, in what sense? Or can it be argued that at times they can be one and the same?
By proposing such an open conference theme, the organizers hope to encourage exciting new avenues of research, inspire the creation of new explanatory concepts, and provide a context for academic and personal encounters. The resultant exchanges it is hoped, will stimulate synergies that cross national, religious, cultural and disciplinary divides, central to the global vision of IAFOR.
Conference Chairs and Featured Speakers
- Paul Lowe: ECAH2015 Keynote Speaker – London College of Communication, University of the Arts London
- Donald E. Hall: ECAH2015 Conference Chair – Herbert J. and Ann L. Siegel Dean, Lehigh University, USA
- Professor Stuart D. B. Picken: ECAH2015 Conference Chair – Chair, Japan Society of Scotland, Chair, IAFOR IAB
The conference theme for 2015 is “Power”, and the organizers encourage submissions that approach this theme from a variety of perspectives. However, the submission of other topics for consideration is welcome and we also encourage sessions within and across a variety of interdisciplinary and theoretical perspectives. Submissions are organized into the following thematic streams:
- Teaching and Learning the Arts
- Arts Policy, Management and Advocacy
- Arts Theory and Criticism
- Social, Political and Community Agendas in the Arts
- Visual Arts Practices
- Performing Arts Practices: Theater, Dance, Music
- Literary Arts Practices
- Media Arts Practices: Television, Multimedia, Digital, Online and Other New Media
- Other Arts
- Media, Film Studies, Theatre, Communication
- Aesthetics, Design
- Language, Linguistics
- Philosophy, Ethics, Consciousness
- History, Historiography
- Literature/Literary Studies
- Political Science, Politics
- Teaching and Learning
- Ethnicity, Difference, Identity
- Immigration, Refugees, Race, Nation
- First Nations and Indigenous Peoples
- Sexuality, Gender, Families
- Religion, Spirituality
- Cyberspace, Technology
- Science, Environment and the Humanities
- Other Humanities
IAFOR Publishing Opportunities
The IAFOR Journal of Arts and Humanities is an editorially independent journal associated with ECAH. A small number of papers from the conference proceedings are selected by the journal editor. Articles may also be submitted directly by contacting the appropriate editor. These open access journals, which conform to the highest academic standards, reflect the interdisciplinary and international nature of our conferences and are organised thematically.
If your abstract is accepted and you have registered for the conference, you are encouraged to submit a full paper for inclusion in the official conference proceedings published on the website. Final papers should be uploaded through the submissions system. Please ensure that your paper is ready to go to press by the submission deadline.
Eye Magazine is the International Academic Forum’s own in-house e-magazine publication. Through Eye magazine, we hope to enlighten you to various views and opinions of our contributors, many of whom have presented full research papers at our various conferences in Asia, Europe and North America.