The International Academic Forum (IAFOR) in conjunction with its global university partners is proud to announce the Second European Conference on Sustainability, Energy & the Environment 2014, to be held on July 3 – 6, 2014, at the Thistle Hotel Brighton, in Brighton, United Kingdom.
2014 Conference Theme: “Individual, Community & Society: Conflict, Resolution & Synergy”
Conflict from earliest times has been a characteristic of the human condition. The struggle between our individual selves and our social selves arises from what makes us unique on the one hand, being challenged by our being part of an interdependent structure of relationships on the other.
The specific blend of experiences, abilities, attitudes, and aspirations, that helps to define us, can sit sometimes uncomfortably alongside our commitments to those closest to us, our communities and our cultures. This can lead to conflict at different levels.
Conflict within communities and societies is inevitable given that these groups are based on commonality of geography, values, attitudes, and beliefs that help to differentiate one from another. The dialectic engendered by diversity, however, although it may lead to conflict, can play an important role in the expansion of ideas in communities and societies. One major challenge of modern society is to harness the synergy that emerges from the interactive dialectic generated by these differences.
As it enters its second year, the European Conference on Sustainability, Energy and the Environment will again include a variety of presenters representing a wide range of social science disciplines, expressing divergent views, searching for common ground, and creating the synergies that can inspire multi-disciplinary collaborations. In developing these relationships among ourselves, the role of the social sciences is strengthened as we take our place at the table, along with scholars in the STEM disciplines in seeking solutions to the complex issues and problems of the 21st century.
ECSEE 2014 will address these various dimensions of human sustainability as we invite scholars from around the world to address questions and search for synergies and solutions to the complex issues surrounding sustainability in a forum encouraging serious and thoughtful exchange between academics, members of the global business community, and practitioners in the fields of human endeavor that link these. We call on scientists from around the globe to meet and share our respective outlooks and collective wisdom on a critical issue of common concern: the pursuit of a sustainable world.
International, Intercultural, Interdisciplinary
The European Conference on Sustainability, Energy and the Environment is organized as part of a month long series of academic events in the UK organized by IAFOR. Those attending the ECSEE will have the opportunity of attending several other conferences held in parallel for no extra charge:
- ECSS2014 – The Second European Conference on the Social Sciences
- ECPEL2014 – The Inaugural European Business and Management Conference
- EBMC2014 – The Inaugural European Conference on Politics, Economics and Law
The conference theme is ”Individual, Community & Society: Conflict, Resolution & Synergy” and the organizers encourage submissions that approach this question from a variety of perspectives. However, the submission of other topics for consideration is welcome and we also encourage sessions within and across a variety of disciplines and fields related to Sustainability, Energy and the Environment, including the following streams:
- Environmental Sustainability & Human Consumption: Food and Water, Hunger and Thirst
- Environmental Sustainability & Human Consumption: Waste
- Environmental Sustainability & Environmental Management: Freshwater, Oceans and Seas
- Environmental Sustainability & Environmental Management: Land Use & Misuse
- Environmental Sustainability & Environmental Management: Atmosphere and Air
- Cultural Sustainability: Protecting, Preserving and Conserving
- Economic Sustainability: Environmental Challenges and Economic Growth
- Economic Sustainability: Sustainable Businesses and CSR
- Social Sustainability & Social Justice
- Social Sustainability, War and Peace
- Social Sustainability & Sustainable Living
- Energy: Environmental Degradation
- Energy: Renewable Energy and Environmental Solutions
- Energy: Energy Economics and Ecological Economics
Authors of Accepted Abstracts will have the opportunity of publishing their associated paper in the official conference proceedings, and a selection of papers will be considered for inclusion in the internationally reviewed IAFOR journals associated with ECSEE.