Laser Physics and Applications
The International School on Quantum Electronics "Laser Physics and Applications" is a traditional event, organized biennially by the Institute of Electronics since 1976, which includes in its topics investigations of the basic physical phenomena, processes of interaction of laser radiation with different materials and new scientific results obtained in the research areas of quantum electronics and optics, as well as the technological practical applications of new ideas, devices, instruments and laser systems. Leading scientists are invited to deliver lectures on the fundamentals of laser physics and applications of lasers as well as the newest results in these research areas.
The topics include the following:
- Laser - matter interactions
- Laser spectroscopy and metrology
- Laser remote sensing and ecology
- Lasers in biology and medicine
- Laser systems and nonlinear optics
The Proceedings of this conference are published in the SPIE Digital Library along with nearly 300,000 papers from other outstanding conferences and articles from SPIE Journals.
The invited lectures and selected posters will be published in a separate volume of Proceedings of SPIE.
Prospective authors are invited to submit original, high quality manuscripts of length six to ten pages. The camera-ready manuscripts shall be submitted via SPIE's MySPIE online submission system. Manuscript submission link will be posted on the School Website after June 15, 2012. Full manuscripts due date is September 28, 2012. Please follow strictly the SPIE Manuscript specifications.
All submitted manuscripts will be double-blind reviewed for technical merit and suitability of content by experts in the field. The accepted papers must be revised, taking into consideration the referees' comments and suggestions, before inclusion in the conference proceedings.
A limited number of grants will be available from OSA for young scientists and PhD students in order to partly support travel and local expenses. Candidates have to be registered on the conference and to submit their abstracts. Program committee will announce the approval of that abstracts until June 15, 2012.
Preference will be given to the following categories of applicants:
- Recipients of the grants should not normally have received their PhD more than 6 years (or equivalent) prior to the celebration of the conference
- They should present a contribution at the conference and preference will be given to those studying and working at an European Institution
- To be eligible, the requesting student must be the presenting author at ISQE for the submitted abstract.
Grant applicants have to present till April 30, 2012:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter. Please specify the kind of support that you may need.
- Registration form and submitted abstract.
- Students have to give evidence for University registration.
Organizing committee will contact the beneficiaries latest June 20, 2012.
ISQE Best poster evaluation criteria
The eligible candidates must be aged under 35 and must personally present the poster for which they are a co-author. An international commission will assess these poster presentations observing the following criteria:
- Scientific value and novelty of the presented results
- Motivation of the work
- Presentation skills of the candidate - structuring and lucidity of ideas
- Does the abstract at the beginning provide an adequate summary of the work performed, the results and conclusions?
- Are the conclusions sounds and justified by the results presented?
- Poster outlook
SPIE Best Student Paper Awards
The awards are designed to encourage and acknowledge excellence in oral and poster student paper presentations. The three very generous prizes for the SPIE Best Student Paper Awards are as follows:
- 1st: $US 250, 50 SPIE Digital Library Downloads, 1-year student membership
- 2nd: $US 150, 25 SPIE Digital Library Downloads, 1-year student membership
- 3rd: $US 100, 15 SPIE Digital Library Downloads, 1-year student membership
The winners will be announced and the awards will be given during the School. The winners will also be invited for oral presentation of their poster in a special session of the school.
OSA Student Paper Awards
To encourage and acknowledge excellence in poster student presentations OSA will sponsor three Best Student Poster Awards totaling 600 $US in cash ($250 / $200 / $150).
The winners will be announced and the awards will be given during the School. The winners will be invited for oral presentation of their poster in a special session of the school.