The International Political Science Association (IPSA) is kindly inviting you to participate in their 23rd IPSA World Congress of Political Science, held July 19 – 24, 2014 in Montréal, Quebec, Canada.
“Challenges of Contemporary Governance“
Political scientists are often seen not merely as analysts of political matters, but as something akin to engineers sculpting the organisation of power.
Globalisation has profoundly altered the work of political scientists, intensifying communication and exchange on issues pertaining to the way in which communities, societies, nations and the world itself are governed.
The ambition of this international political science congress, to be held in Montréal, is to reflect upon contemporary evolutions in governance in the face of numerous challenges:
- Political, economic and social systems have become increasingly fragmented, rendering global strategic initiatives ever more complex
- The variety of values, attitudes and behaviours exhibited by individuals and groups makes for a greater and more diverse demand for inclusion and participation
- As the structures through which these interests are represented continue to expand, systems of governance become increasingly complex, more difficult to interpret and understand and less responsive to the uninitiated citizen
- There is a growing risk that the democratic quality of our political systems will deteriorate as a result of the rising influence and decision-making capacity of technical-administrative and technocratic experts
- For a given sector or type of organisation, comparative analysis and an experimental methodological approach should help better evaluate the performance of different forms of governance
- It may also be fruitful to focus on the various competitive strategies and means by which models of governance are promoted, or even imposed (in the name of ‘good governance’ demanded by international institutions, for example)
Faced with these challenges, the multi-faceted phenomenon of governance requires a global, comprehensive and multi-tiered approach: from the local association or political party up to the international community, via regional integration or the national regulation of an economic sector.
Adopting an approach to political science which is resolutely open to the opportunities offered by interdisciplinary collaborations, we must also support the circulation of theoretical frameworks and empirical approaches which are applicable in the northern and southern hemispheres, to the most developed nations and the panoply of emerging and developing countries.
The main focus of this congress will be to generate the greatest possible number of concrete, innovative answers to the questions of citizens, their political, associative and socio-economic representatives and the policy makers who are working constantly to improve the quality of governance.
The principal themes covered by this congress will be:
- International Political Economy
- International Relations
- Public Policy Analysis and Administrative Science
- Comparative Politics and Institutions
- Political Theory, Gender and Politics
- Urban and Regional Politics and Policies
- Political Attitudes and Behaviour
Travel Grants and Awards 2014
IPSA has instituted a number of awards and grants with a view to enhancing the quality and diversity of participation in its world congresses. In order to foster the presence of women, graduate students, young scholars from emerging economies, IPSA offers travel grants to members of these groups.
IPSA Travel Grants
The purpose of these funds is to facilitate travel to the world congress by people who live and work in developing economies, who would otherwise not be able to afford it. Recipients must be presenters or co-presenters at the event and be listed in the program. The allowances, of up to $1,000 US, are offered on the recommendation of the Travel Grants Subcommittee of the Program Committee. Travel grant funds will be given to recipients ONSITE and not in advance of the congress.
The application period for the IPSA Travel Grants is from December 2, 2013 to January 28, 2014. All travel grant applications must be completed online using the IPSA account, without exceptions.
2014 Travel Grant Selection Criteria — Click here.
Criteria for application
- must live and work (or study) in emerging/developing economies.
- must be an accepted paper presenter (main author) or co-presenter (co-authors) at the congress and be listed in the program.
Applicants are expected to submit (in PDF format only)
- Proof of citizenship (identification page of passport)
- Proof of work or study in emerging/developing economies
- A resume or CV
- A letter of reference (from place of employment or educational institution, or from the chair or convenor of your panel)
Application deadline for all awards is April 1st, 2014.
The purpose of the Stein Rokkan fellowship is to facilitate a small number of graduate students’ attendance at the world congress. The award is given on the recommendation of the Committee on Awards.
Award: $1,000 US for basic travel and accommodation costs to the following World Congress of Political Science — Istanbul, Turkey 2016
This award honours a prominent scholar engaged in the cross-disciplinary research of which Karl Deutsch was a master. The recipient presents the Karl Deutsch Lecture or leads a special session at the congress.
Award: Presents the Karl Deutsch lecture or leads a special session at the 23rd World Congress of Political Science – Montréal, Canada. The 2014 prize is $1,000 US and is granted on the recommendation of the Committee on Awards.
Established to recognize the work done by a political scientist on issues of significance to the Global South, this award also recognized a cumulative body of work.
Award: $1,000 US and Presentation of a prize lecture at the 23nd World Congress of Political Science — Montréal, Canada.
The purpose of the Francesco Kjellberg Award is to encourage young, new scholars to write and present papers at the World Congress of Political Science. The award is made on the recommendation of the Committee on Awards on the basis of nominations by convenors and chairs at the world congress and is based on normal criteria of academic excellence.
Award: $1,000 US towards travel costs to the following World Congress of Political Science — Istanbul, Turkey 2016
The objective of this award is to encourage research in the area of gender and politics. It is given to the best research in this domain presented at the Congress. Any scholar, male or female, who has prepared a written, original paper for the congress, with the intention of presenting it personally, may be recommended for the award by the convenor or chair of his or her panel. The IPSA Awards Committee, with the assistance of the committee on participation, assess papers nominated until June 15, 2014.
Award: $1,000 US